Sometimes I just skip the cheese altogether. No alternatives, no substitutions, nothing. And you know what? It still tastes great. Granted, a little bit of the pizza-ness leaves when you don’t include cheese, but it was more like really hearty bruschetta. Or, it was like a pizza without the cheese… Feel free to toss some cheese or some cheese alternative on top of your pizza if you want. The crust is what this post is mostly about, and a little bit about the toppings. As always, you can mix and match toppings as your needs require.
This was my first time to make this crust. It was super simple and I was even able to follow the directions for freezing and use some of it later. Here is the link for Pamela’s Crust recipe. It uses Pamela’s Bread Mix. I followed the directions exactly except I did not include the optional cheese. http://www.pamelasproducts.com/chewy-pizza-crust/
As for the toppings, first I spread on 1 T. of oil. This acts as a barrier and keeps your crust from getting soggy. Next, I sprinkled on some fresh basil from my garden (put this under greasy things or wait until the end to add it.) After that, I spread on my Pizza Hut Sauce Copycat recipe. After pre-cooking some Jimmy Dean Sausage (regular) and some bacon, I spread it over the pizza along with some Hormel Pepperoni slices. We had golden tomatoes in our garden, so I included some of those too, cut in half. I baked it for another 10 minutes as the recipe says and then I enjoyed!
Note: if you don’t have cheese on your pizza, you may want to have a fork and/or napkin nearby. Toppings tend to jump off quite rudely :-).
To sum up, here are the ingredients you need:
- 3-1/2 cups Pamela’s Gluten-Free Bread Mix
- 2-1/4 tsp active dry yeast or 1 yeast packet 7g (enclosed in 19 oz mix)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1-1/2 cups warm water
- 2 tsp Italian herbs
- Pizza Hut Sauce Copycat recipe (see ingredients below)
- Jimmy Dean sausage (optional)- could replace it with ground beef if needed
- Hormel Pepperoni (optional)- could replace with turkey pepperoni or omit
- Bacon (optional)- could replace with turkey bacon or omit
- Fresh Basil (optional)
- Cherry tomatoes (optional)
Pizza Hut Sauce Copycat ingredients:
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce (I used Hunt’s)
- 1/4 tsp of each: basil, salt, marjoram, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, fennel, black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp lemon or lime juice
Happy pizza eating!